Labels

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tinkerer Production - Update

Wow, been so busy with this set thing I haven't had much time to post anything! I've been spending more and more time out in Oakland at the space immersed in paint, cutting wood, playing with popsicle sticks, burning myself with hot glue, and having a good old time with fancy wallpaper.

The arches are up! And they're looking pretty sweet. From the beginning we've been talking about creating a series of arches with crisscrossing "metal" slats and "rivets". I started with some small scale tests to see if it would work.

Pre-paint, salvaged board.

Post-paint. For this I tried two different kinds of hammered spray

It looked like 1x4's for the structure, popcicle sticks for the crisscrosses, and furniture tacks for the rivets were the winning combo. Since there are seven arches, and each side of an arch required roughly 170 popcicle sticks, so we ordered approximately enough a bazillion.

Spenser and I in the cathedral

Hot gluing begins

I quickly realized that since the arches aren't actually curved, only bent at strategic intervals, I needed a way to fill in the gaps at each bend. Thinking quickly I raided the recycling bin and came up with the material that fixes everything: cardboard.

For some reason I couldn't stop thinking about cake all day.

The totals amounted to roughly: 1360 popsicle sticks and 1813 furniture tacks. I think I'm done with popsicles for awhile.

Then came some painting. Instead of using spray paint (which is evil because it slowly kills the cuteness in puppies every time you use it) the plan involved two coats. With the help of some loyal paint crew (thanks guys, you rock. oh by the way, there's more to paint now.) a dark primer was applied. Then after some light sanding on the flat surfaces came a nice thick glossy black.

Booya.

Next came ceiling and walls. The ceiling is starting as just black, but hopefully I'll have time to make it more interesting with some stenciled flourishes. The walls, are designed to be removable to allow us to get our shots, as it is a rather small location. I decided to turn to my tried and true method of making walls look awesome, and that's wallpaper.

Bam! Insta-texture.

The paper will only cover the top five feet, leaving the bottom three to be dark wood wainscoting. More on that later.

Next came something pretty cool. Some of you may remember this old relic. It makes me very happy to see it get to live on: Quandary presents, the door of the Argos.


We had to open it up and do a little surgery to the locking mechanism inside due to some unfortunate overzealous opening action awhile back. The frame was added to the back wall, covered in plywood and wallpaper, and now just waits for the door to be installed.


Stay tuned. Haven't even got to the moving shelves yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment