Labels

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cock Rooster Painting

Hey check it out, I can kinda still paint! It's been quite a while since I painted anything traditional (unless you count spaceship walls, and robot rust). I used to do a ton of watercolor all through grade school and into high school (even some oil) but since then I got sucked into painting with the dark side photoshop.

But I got bitten by the bug again! So I invested in some of the cheapest, most terrible paint I could get at the art store (seriously, don't use this stuff, it's awful) some ¢99 brushes, and a decent sized canvas.

(click to enlarge)

When I got all the stuff home I realized, "Oh yeah, I probably need an easel" (Or a mechanical man who could hold my canvas for me... hmm...)

Instead of shelling out the $99 for the cheapest easel in the store, I decided to go with the under $2 option and build my own out of PVC pipe and some scrap wood. It's not the sturdiest thing in the world, but I find the cheap easels to be just as bad if not worse.

(click to enlarge)

Then, cue spotlight and: paint!!

(click to enlarge)

My attempt to get a rich rusty copper base quickly became a sad brown/orange hue which was very unsatisfying. I let it dry and then started over, this time with a rich red. The combination of thick layering and hopelessly cheap paint lead to some serious cracking, but in the end I think it looks kinda cool. Maybe I'll experiment and try to get it more extreme next time.

Anyway, more to come!

(click to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment