Labels

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pete Townspoon

It came to me as if in a dream...the man, the legend... a fork playing a spoon. As always I had to start with a little inspiration.

Since this sculpture needed to express a lot of character, and since I was using a very solid material (metal) I decided to begin with a paper mockup.

(click to enlarge)

After raiding Urban Ore for all the forks and spoons they had I got to work. Using a butane torch I heated the metal until it was red hot and bent it with pliers using my paper reference to ensure they were the right shape. It also gave me a good excuse to wear my Riddick Goggles other than at the mall or waiting sleeping.

(click to enlarge)

After all the pieces were just right, I broke out some JB weld and started welding the joints and clamping them. The whole clamping and drying process took a few days as I did it in different stages, but in future I'm confident I can get it positioned to be able to dry in one night.

(click to enlarge)

After the welds were tight I applied a pewter petina to give it a little more character, and cut out a circle of MDF board with a jigsaw for the base. With a little black paint and a lot of gloss it was all ready to be attached together to complete the piece.

(click to enlarge)

Expect Elvis Spoonly soon.

For more, be sure to keep checking my Flickr photostream for updates: www.flickr.com/photos/matthewelium/

No comments:

Post a Comment