Labels

Monday, April 26, 2010

Eraser Box

Like most artists I love pencils. But what I love even more is: erasers. Why? Isn't it obvious? They create inter-dimensional portals I make a lot of mistakes. So they make me feel safe at night. However, my favorite brand, while amazinglysuperawesome, is prone to tearing when kept in a pocket for any amount of time (all the time). So to solve the problem I decided to make a litlle eraser box!

I've had this broken yardstick sitting around my workshop since last Halloween when my nephew accidentally sat on it. (In his defense he was encased in a prototype cardboard robot suit, and didn't have the use of his arms.) Coincidentally this yardstick turned out to be the perfect size.

(click to enlarge)

In Photoshop I sketched out some designs, printed them out, then copied them onto the newly cut and sanded wood.
(click to enlarge)

Then with my cheap wood-burning iron I traced the pencil. Unfortunately I only have a chisel tip nib so there was definitely some detail lost (the symbol for "fire of circulation" on the skull for instance) After the wood was burned, a little glue applied, viola! The most practical thing in the world, an eraser box.

(click to enlarge)

Don't let these stalker tools go to waste! Check my Flickr photostream for updates: www.flickr.com/photos/matthewelium/

No comments:

Post a Comment